Elizabeth C. Reilly

The early Hindu astrologers used a magnet—an iron fish compass that floated in a vessel of oil and pointed to the North. The Sanskrit word for the mariner's compass is Maccha Yantra, or fish machine. It provides direction, and, metaphorically, illumination and enlightenment. These essays began in 2006 in India. Since then, my work has expanded to Mexico, China, the European Union, and Afghanistan. Join me on a journey throughout this flat world, where Maccha Yantra will help guide our path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Malibu, California, United States

Thursday, April 13, 2006

The world is flat


It began with a conversation, as many amazing things often do. He queried, "Where were you when you discovered the world was flat?" I looked up from my book, The World is Flat, and replied, "When I realized I could have breakfast in London with my oldest daughter, set up my doctoral class online, have an instant message conversation with one of my dissertation students, and still be back in California that same evening to tuck my two youngest into bed." He smiled. President/CEO of Sterling Commerce, Inc., Samuel R. Starr, along with Thomas Friedman, were about to make life quite interesting.

As I considered Friedman's perspectives, it occurred to me that India represented the quintessence of his assertions, yet there could likely not be a nation more a study in contrasts. Over the course of the next few months with the insight and reflection of several executives, I gave birth to a research initiative that will take me to a land both ancient and new age, steeped in customs milennia old, yet poised on the precipice of a megatrend of globalization unprecidented to this point in history.

What is happening in India? And more specifically, what does leadership look like at present and what is its relationship to the sucesses the nation is enjoying? What are its challenges? And finally, what are the lessons and the implications for both India and the United States.

Come join me on a journey that will take me deep into the past and far into the future.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Reilly said...

Indeed, I am curious and have found myself asking and observing a great deal about gender and leadership. I am frequently the only woman in one of these executive settings. When I lectured at the India Institute of Management, I was one of 5 women present of over 75 people. Hema Ravichandar, the force of nature behind Infosys' success here, is going to introduce me to women so that I might address this issue.

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home